Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Mum's Day

With it being Mother's Day a few days ago, I have been thinking happy thoughts about my amazing Mum, Christina Hume. I have also been thinking about the marvel that is my future Mother-in-law, Margaret Hartley.

Now, I can hear you all saying: "Hume, you're such a suck up." And that would be a fair accusation.

But yesterday I came across a something very cool. My friend Briana Rayner wrote a beautiful testimony to her mom in the Globe and Mail that really inspired me. Surely my mum and future mum-in-law deserve no less (though it's a tall order to top Briana's piece, lemme tell ya). Why not send some love out into the blogosphere to two such important people?

Here's a couple great things that came out of Briana's reflections:
  • Mothers are such important teachers
  • Mothers are almost always right
For me, these struck home. From my mum, I think the most important things I've learned are probably the most important things in the world: how to be kind, have a spine, and make people laugh. If I've ever made a witty comment, it's thanks to my mum's example. If I've ever stood my ground, it's because I know that, even if my mum is kinda small, when she gets mad, she's ten feet tall! So I know I can be tough too, if I need to be. And if I've seen the opportunity to be kind to someone, it's because my mum showed and encouraged me again again to always be kind.

She's also been right about just about everything, ever. Really. Ask my Dad.

Anyway, I love you Mum.

1 comment:

kiwilauren said...

Amen, Dave. It's just about universal - I'm convinced that ALL mothers are great teachers, and ALL mothers are almost always right. I know mine is fantastic. It's nice to see you making your appreciation public. :o)

In other news, I'm off to New Zealand in less than 2 months now. Can't wait to meet you and Karla!